Friday, May 8, 2009

A DAY IN A MOTHERS' LIFE


Photo by Nauman Umair

Not so quietly they creep, as not to be detected. Loud whispers and giggles erupt. Shhhhhh! reverberates around the room, penetrating the barrier of the door to the room in which I was sleeping. Oh, it's still so early this Mother's Day morn.

The creaking of doors and the slamming of drawers makes further sleep impossible. Small arguments and the banging of pans would awaken even the heaviest sleeper. Soon the glorious scent of coffee fills the air, and, oh, is that bacon? I hear " you make the toast" followed by another loud "Shhhh"; giggles once again. The clatter of plates and flatware draw closer, closer still. Anticipating that the door will soon open I nestle further into my bed, pretending to be in an oblivious sleep. I hear "wait, wait, we forgot the coffee" and an impatient moan. The thud of a coffee cup hits the counter, soon followed by a stirring sound. The patter of quick but steady feet halt in front of my door. Slowly, ever so slowly, my door opens. I can sense the peeking and hear the shifting of their precious load.

Yet again, a giggle. Continuing my pretend slumber, I seem not to notice the movement around me. The tray table is opened with the greatest of care. The food and condiments are settled upon it. Suddenly, a pressure on the mattress, then more. I lazily shift my position and pretend to awaken; seeming not to be aware at all.

As I open my eyes my TV comes on. I focus to see what's going on in my room. To my astonishment I find...

My precious children sitting on the end of my bed eating their freshly cooked food and watching cartoons.

TO MOM'S EVERYWHERE, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Queen B...this kept me on the edge of my seat. I was waiting for such a great ending and it was actually better, it was realistic...Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXCELLENT! jUST EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete